Tuesday, November 10, 2015

11/8/2015 DB's Dailies: Kolohe&Kimo Kai@Rabbit Island, Right Spot@Sandy Beach, U'ilani@Hilton Hawaiian Village, Holokai@ Turtle Bay

At 0712 I found what would prove to be Kolohe (RW22) & Kimo Kai (RT12) up in the Morning Glory, 40 ft left of 1BS. Both would move down for the day, allowing the ID.

 Ocean Safety called at 1608 with the report of an animal at the east end of Sandy Beach. When I arrived at 1615 I found and cordoned off, Right Spot (R016). Gayle called at 1732 to advise that Right Spot was gone.

 Colleen called at 1312 with the report of U’ilani (RN36) slowly cruising in the near shore waters fronting the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Colleen notified NOAA of the behavior, and Michelle and the NOAA crew responded, capturing and transporting her to the Ford Island facility for tests and observation.

 A Diane Gabriel text at 1334 advised that Holokai (RG40) was snoozin’ at Kaikaina’s birth beach, east of the Keiki Pool.

 Kimo Kai  and Kolohe
 Right Spot at Sandy's 
U'ilani at the Hilton Hawaiian
 NOAA team on site
 taking her in for observation
 little Holokai
 such a little guy

2 comments:

Madhatter said...

Wow I am becoming very concerned and scared about what is going on with the monk seals. First Kaikaina now U'ilani's strange behaviors.
Not to mention all the missing monk seals. I haven't heard about Ola Loa for a long time.
I hope and pray this is not the same disease that took Haupu earlier.
Is there any type of intervention that can be given to the monk seals to prevent that disease.
Please someone talk to me about this I am so sad and worried.

Donna said...

Aloha Madhatter....

A lot of us are saddened by the loss of Kaikaina and the unknown whereabouts of many of the young ones.

I can't speak to any type of disease prevention (maybe if one of the NOAA team is reading this they can chime in).... but I do know they pulled U'ilani for observation.... so they will monitor her at the NOAA facility.

For the volunteers we are just out there to make observations and report on sightings... there isn't anything we can do.... I do know the NOAA team has information they receive from the volunteers.... beyond that not sure what we can do.

I appreciate your concerns... and please continue to ask any questions you might have....

donna