Friday, November 13, 2015

11/13/2015 DB's Dailies: Kolohe,Kimo Kai,Kainoa&Cass@Rabbit Island, Pohaku@Campbell Industrial Park, Holokai@Turtle Bay

It has been a really crappy day, which is just one day in a really crappy week(Kaikaina). (The last couple of years haven’t been all that great). A call from David Schofield at 0832 brought word that our little 2 year old female, U’ilani (RN36) had died overnight at the NOAA facility, Ford Island. The necropsy is being done now so hopefully there will be more info in the next few days. (there really aren't any words..... such a loss)

 At 0702 I found what would prove to be Kolohe (RW22)&Kimo Kai (RT12) in the Morning Glory , fronting 1BS, and what would turn out to be Cass (RG06),(I hope) in the Morning Glory, behind Seal Rock Inlet on Rabbit Island.

 At 0941 Kainoa (RN04) would haul out to join Kolohe and Kimo Kai. I hope my Cass call is a good one. I never saw anything but a female belly, so I’m basing the ID on that, however I’ve blown it before so ?????? Weaners with no markers is a difficult call from 8/10ths of a mile.

 At 0941 Kainoa (RN04) would haul out to join Kimo Kai&Kolohe. All would remain the day.

 Team Billand found a foraging animal off shore of Germaine’s Luau Grounds, Campbell Industrial Park, at 0930. This has been a Pohaku thing for a while now, but there was never a haul out so ?????

Melanie checked in at 1420 from Turtle Bay advising that Holokai (RG40) was at the Keiki Pool. She was said to have been there since 1030.
Cass 
 Kimo Kai, Kainoa and Kolohe
Photo is labeled UU but title says Pohaku.... so I don't know which is which or if it's one of the same
Thank you Barb for sharing the photos of U'ilani in better days.
 such a sweet little one.... gone too soon.


1 comment:

b said...

Yes, that silly photo of the slither of a seal was : POHAKU...campbells. SHe was really far out, waves were covering her and it was a tough time to get a decent shot. I tried for over an hour to get her ID shot, but it never really happened.

So long to my little sweet seal, known as U ilani. Our lives were happy when ever we found her at the REEF and out at Maili pt. Finding her was always joyful.

When she came out to Maili Pt, I was so shocked and thrilled, she made the long journey. I could keep watching her grow and was amazed how she could handle the bigger seals that followed her .

At the reef, I will never forget how she chased MAKAIWI R4DF. U ilani was on shore, she heard Makaiwi approaching her and she jumped up, ran to Makaiwi, like a lighting bolt. Makaiwi was shocked at her speed and took off...U ilani right at her butt.

I loved watching her and her older brother Kekoa Alli RK72, forage together, then U ilani would chase Kekoa to the shore at the REEF. She would always land first with such an attitude. She was just a cute kid and we loved her dearly.

Aileen Ramos, security at the REEF, was the person who let us in and stayed the Two Hours while we observed the seals there. And she was the one who made the call of both births, also gave them their names.

I will always remember Aileen, calling me up the day she named U ilani. We had left the reef, going home, my phone rang. BARBARA...turn to this station, I forget the numbers. Listen to the song. I did and was so shocked and thrilled....the song was about..U ILANI. It was that morning, AILEEN NAMED that seal..U ilani. COOL.

TO AILEEN...GOD BLESS YOU for your watchful eagle eyes on U ilani... Rob and I are very sorry for her passing. Together, the three of us, ROB, YOU AND I, can keep our fond memories of our girl.

To NOAA, thanks for trying your best. God bless you all.

TO U ilani...sorry for all the spills you went through at REEF. THE AWFUL : MOLASSES SPILL, THE JET FUEL SPILL, THE SEWAGE SPILLS and who knows what else.

We will miss you...FLIPPER HUGS...sorry we couldnt grow old TOGETHER.