Friday, April 10, 2015

4/9/2015 DB's Dailies: Kaiwi,Aukai&Kea@RI, RT12@Maili Beach Park, Kekoa&RK36@Maili Pt, La'akea,R5AY&Ola@TB

At 0745 on my first look at Rabbit Island, I found what would prove to be Kaiwi (RK96) & Aukai (RL12) together at 1BS. The would move down to cool off and remained all day.

 On a routine pan at 1019 I found Kea (RN46) just hauling out to the left end rock flats. He too would remain the rest of the day.

 I did not see Sadie today, however I did see just a glimpse of the dome of a back as I assumed the position at Makai Pier. It looked to be a sizeable dome, so perhaps it was Sadie going out to forage ????
 Gayle & I both did multiple checks of the rest of the quadrant, and found nobody else. At 1146 Team Billand came up with the highlight of the day, finding RT43, at “Green Lantern’s”, Maili Beach Park. This was a first time Oahu sighting. Barbara called Mary Miyashiro on Kauai hoping for some insight, and lo and behold Mary advised that it was a Kauai male, born 2010. Tags were RT12 & RT43, which seemed weird. He is known as Kimo Kai on Kauai. When I got home to my computer I looked it up and all of that was true. But now for the REST of the story as Paul Harvey used to say (Whippersnappers, you can Google it)....... RT43 is Rocky’s 2010 son from Larsen’s Beach on Kauai !!! I checked a Tracy shot from the tagging day and he began life as RT12/13. Where the 43 came from has yet to be discovered. He was gone on their 1500 recheck.

 At 1300 the Billand reported Kekoa (RK72) & RK36 at Maili Pt

 At 1503 I got a call from HFD advising that they had gotten reports of a seal being harassed at Turtle Bay. I called Dana and she later advised that La’akea (RK82) on the hotel’s main beach, and had been dealt with.

 A check of the HMSRP, Facebook site advised that info is back on Haupu’s death. Toxoplasmosis was found to be the main cause. Check out the site. There is more Toxo info available.
Aukai and Kaiwi
 Kea 
Rocky's boy RT12 aka RT43 known on Kauai as Kimo Kai
 Back in the day RT12 in 2010
Kekoa @ Maili Point
 RK36 at Maili Point

No comments: