Saturday, January 3, 2015

1/3/2015 DB's Dailies: RM38@RI, Buster@SB, Rocky@KK, Haupu@WP, R5AY@Hauula, Kolohe@Maili Pt

At 0810 on my first look at Rabbit Island, I found what would prove to be RM38 in the Morning Glory, fronting 1BS.

 Right off the bat I saw that Buster was nowhere to be found at RI. I spent the rest of the morning waiting for the other Buster shoe to drop. Drop it did with a call from Sandy Beach lifeguard posse member, at 1104 reporting an animal newly hauled out at the Blowhole end of Sandy Beach. When I arrived at 1120 I found a 10% molted Buster (RV08). I cordoned him off and he remains. Thank yous to Gayle & Marilyn for the Buster checks. I picked up the stuff at dark. Buster remains.

We did a Toilet Bowl check after the Buster response, and though we found nobody, HB personnel did report that there had been an animal at TBL on 1-1-15, but since Barack owned the place that day, no call was made.

Linda Nichols called at 1718 with the report of Rocky at her house. When I arrived at 1740 I confirmed the Rocky (RH58) ID.

At 1002 Team Billand checked in to advise that they had been following a “swimming head”, fronting White Plains, since 0930. At 1010 they advise that Haupu (RB24) hauled out to the middle of the “Access Surf” set up, at WP. They cordoned her off. Thanks to all who provided additional help.

I got a call from Photo Tour posse member Alex, with the report of a large animal in Hauula. I checked with Dana a 1305, and she advised that R5AY had been reported earlier in the area, and there had been a response. Tracy’s 2015 birth predictions has her down for on or about 1-26-15, but only Honey Girl knows.

Team Billand found Kolohe (RW22) at Maili Point, at 1525.

At 1715 WP lifeguards advised a 2nd seal had arrived at WP. There was no ID.

 RM38
 Buster

White Plains Sunrise 
 Haupu.... has quite the welcome wagon 
 hmmm NBC ?  wonder if Ms Haupu will make national news
 rescue in progress? 
kolohe at Maili Point
 Gorgeous double rainbow at nimitz
Rocky at Kokee Flats

1 comment:

Da Barbara said...

Yesterday as the sun rose, we talked about, Haupu. We saw the ACCESS SURF setting up for their work with handicapped folks who like to surf at Plains every month for years.

You see, Haupu RB24 is a female who likes the fenceline side...right where Access Surf was.

We spotted a seal foraging off shore from 9:15am, where the surf line up was. Then at 10am we saw her trying to land left side of Plains, changed her mind as there were so many people on shore. Rob and I ran with our signs and ropes, advising folks to stay back and let her come on shore.

Well folks lined the waters edge, Haupu LIKE ALMOST ASKING THEM: "AH...Is it alright I haul up RIGHT HERE? I am a Hawaiian Monk Seal and I need my rest."

Rob went on left end and I went Right end, placing signs down and around Miss Haupu, who was still looking up at everyone. Yep she made her decision to haul up IN THE MIDDLE OF ACCESS SURF. Everyone was very good, as we quickly got the zone up, asking all kinds of great questions, taking lots of photos as I was too.

Yeah..Haupu is settled in for the day, ACCESS SURF worked around the Hawaiian Monk Seal. They are a great bunch of humans taking care of the handicap folks, putting them on surf boards and taking them way out to ride the waves.

The look on all the kids and adults faces are PRICELESS. ACCESS SURF FOLKS are: AMAZING!!!!

One of the kids came up to me as he was playing close by to Haupu, watching her. She flipped over to her right side. The kid came up to me: "HEY WHEN DID SHE FLIP OVER? I didnt see that". How long will the seal stay here? Is it ok?"

By 12:15pm we had a helper come: TONY Q. And after he left, Shelly would take the last shift with Haupu. We did not return the rest of the day to White Plains.

Just after 5, Lifeguards called to say another seal arrived with Haupu in the zone. I think in my opinion, it was..RIP RR70 as he been with her the day before. And he been coming to Plains several days in a row near the cottages. They left together...

Our only other seal was the Handsome Kolohe at Maili.

No Pohaku..wonder where she hauled out..hope she is OK.

Hey Benny..miss you. I saw a Rainbow at Nimitz forming and it had lasted so long. And a second Rainbow showed so brilliantly, I took a snap. ITs for YOU BENNY...FOr your speedy recovery..sent with many prayers. We think of you every second of each day...hoping to see you again, swimming the waters, hauling out, giving attitude...Hang in their Benny.

Thanks NOAA for keeping him safe and ALIVE!!!!!

As Benny would say: SNORT!! BORT!! Bah!!!