Wednesday, December 3, 2014

She was more than ONE....

This post is from my friend Val's blog.... "My Girlsz Got Paws" ... Val is a longtime monk seal volunteer, supporter, advocate..... Val lived on Molokai and now lives on Kauai. I know this hit her hard as it has all of us.... I found Val's words SHE WAS MORE THAN ONE soooo poignant I had to share.

Early today I received some sad and disturbing news. ONE of the monk seal pups that I, along with other volunteers helped to monitor this past summer was found dead on a Kauai beach. Late this summer this little seal (at 5 weeks of age) survived a vicious dog attack only to be "attacked" again by someone using a rock. The necropsy revealed that the little female seals skull was crushed. A perfectly healthy 5 month old seals life was ended by blunt force trauma . You see, this little seal was a future momma, a seal that could have produced up to a dozen or more offspring in her lifetime. Now we shall never observe her on her birth beach with her own pups. ONE seal that could have made a huge impact on the survival of these critically endangered mammals. Now Gone. She was so much more than ONE...


No comments: