Saturday, December 13, 2014

12/13/14 DB's Dailies: RK36,RM38,Duke,Buster&Kainoa@RI, Kea@Blowhole Cove, Haupu@PC, Benny@Lanikohonua, RW02&Ka'ena@KP

The adventure began at 0615, but it would be 0724 before I found my first critter. On Rabbit Island at 0724 I found a 100% molted RM38, 100 ft left of 1BS, and what would prove to be Buster (RV08) a the log, 40 ft left of 1BS. When I got back to Makai Pier for my 2nd look at 1030, I found that RK36 & Duke (RA12) had now joined RM38 at the left end of the beach. Buster would later move down to join them. On a pan at 1041 I became aware of Kainoa (RN04) at mid Middle Cliff. He was so perfectly blended with his surroundings that I’m certain I had simply missed him on previous pans of the beach. All would remain the entire day.

I had done numerous morning checks from Sandy Beach to Lanai Lookout, but had found nothing until my 0905 check of the small cove on the Sandy Beach side of the Blowhole Lookout. There I found Kea (RN46) snoozin’ away the morning. He had definitely not been there on earlier checks. Kea has remained the day. He was still there at 1730.

At 0945 Team Billand called with the report of Haupu (RB24) at Paradise Cove.

At 1200 they would call to advised that Jean had reported Benny (RE74) at Lanikohonua, KoOlina.

The Billands would report Benny relocating to the channel reef at 1402. Thanks to Jean, Kirstin & Linda !!

Marilyn & Ken trekked to the End of the World for the usual Saturday Ka’ena Point search. Marilyn checked in at 1032 to advise that at 0900 they had found RW02 on the back beach. He would later relocate to Ka’ena’s pool. They found Ka’ena (RO40) at the runway. He would later relocate to the main pool.


RK36, duke, buster and RM38
 Kea  
 Ka'ena  
 RW02
 Benny hanging out Lanikohonua
 he's a handsome dude
 looking good Benny
 Haupu at Paradise Cove
Jean and Haupu

1 comment:

b said...

Thanks for the help at KoOlina guys. You are all very much appreciated..I know its hot out there..but you stuck it out.

Benny was found by Jean, she put out the two signs and kind of sat in the middle to keep watch of the two animals.

We returned again to keep watch on Benny...well, he was snoozing, but he then entered the water. We followed him, as he climbed up on the reef away from Lani's. He heard the dogs barking, kept keeping tabs on them, went higher up on the rocks to take a snooze.

We tried to keep folks from disturbing him, left two signs, GAVE UP...LEFT area.

I know Haupu was going to have a another wedding ceremony just after we left. Kirstin was there to keep watch.

And I know Linda Song would be the last volunteer to keep watch for the later shift. I hope things went all right for her and the two seals.

As for the turtles, they were chased, touched, followed. It occurs daily..tsk. tsk. Also ...FED!

Couldnt find Pohaku yesterday...maybe she will show up this morning.

Haupu looked lovely..getting CHUNKY.

Again Thanks to Jean Jasina, Kirstin and Linda Song for keeping our seals...SAFE and Happy. If anyone else went out...THANKS.