Thursday, October 16, 2014

10/16/2014 DB's Dailies: T990@MP, Kolohe,Kainoa,Kaiwi&Duke@RI, Kea@ SB, RIP@ Maili Point

I checked the outfall at Sandy Beach at 0615. Kea was gone. I picked up the stuff and continued the adventure.

At 0630 I arrived at Makai Pier to find an overnighted T990. He would depart of his own volition at 0942. I watched him behind the breakwater for 10 minutes, when he dove and I did not see him again.

At 0649 I found Kolohe (RW22), Kainoa (RN04) & Duke (RA12) all together in the Morning Glory, 40 ft left of 1BS on Rabbit Island. When I got back at 0840 they had moved down to the beachfront incline. Duke was a bit separated from Kainoa & Kolohe.

At 1018 Kaiwi (RK96) would arrive, hauling out nearer Duke than the other two. All four would snooze away the rest of the day.

 On a routine check of Crappy Cove, Sandy Beach at 1307, to my surprise, I found Kea (RN46) on his usual perch on the rocks. I cordoned him off and he remains. Kea would depart of his own volition at 1700.

At 1051 Team Billand called with the report of RIP (RR70) at Maili Point.

Much Mahalos to Team Billand for forwarding Charles’ latest map of Buster’s travels since being Critter Cammed. Lo & Behold the boy is foraging at Penquin Banks off Molokai !!!

Duke and Kaiwi
 Kainoa and Kaiwi 
 Kea at Sandys
 chubby torpedo 
 T990 at Makapu Pier 
 the old dude is looking mighty frail
 I wonder if it feels comfortable for him to be in the water...
 Rip at Maili Point  
 Here's a map of Buster's travels.... looks like he b-lined it towards the south

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does anyone have an estimate of T990's age?

Donna said...

I don't think anyone knows for sure.... but based on his being part of a group of male seals from laysan he's estimated to be in his late twenties or early thirties.... for a monk seal... he's a senior seal citizen.