Saturday, October 11, 2014

10/11/2014 This Week's News from Lesley

Thursday October 09th, 2014
At dawn from up the driveway I saw the overnighted seal on Birth Beach side of Camp Erdman. Later before heading out to monitor KPt solo, I went down to ID it and found
RW02 "Kauai”. He doesn't seem to have started his molt, although I didn't see his belly. No signs we're needed since we had the beach to ourselves.
We when to check on him at night and he was still there.

Next I found R912 "Nihoa" @ Hidden Beach. I did outreach with a cool family that was camping and they told me she was there last night. On my way back she was still there. I did more outreach with a new group of visitors.

The tide was low but the swell sets were washing pools and beaches.
I found R303 "BG" was in her pool @ KPt. She was washed by a bigger set and left. I was lucky to ID her just on time.

RO40 "Ka'ena" was in his pool. He was also washed around, he went for a swim around the pool and opted to stay in there. He was there on my way back.

RR70 "Rip" was @ Back Beach. He also overnighted. I could see his trail (and other signs he left behind). He didn't seem to want to go into the water but the sets were washing him from side to side to the delight of some hikers that were observing him with me while we did a Q&A session. “Rip” gave up and let the backwash take him into the deep. We saw him foraging on the outer reefs
Friday October 10th, 2014
Just after dawn I checked from the driveway and saw RW02 “Kauai” in the same location.
Kimo, little Kana’I & I went down to Birth Beach to look for RN58 “Luana”, we found her hauled out among some rocks sleeping peacefully.
Before coming into to town I checked on RW02 “Kauai” he was still in the same place. The high tide had reached the concrete slab right beside were he slept.
It was busy day with the HOTLINE: a seal in Hauula (ID still pending), an overnighter at the Marine Base in Kaneohe that turned out to be Ided as R016 “Right Spot” by Tony, our frequent flyer RH58 “Rocky” at Kaimana, RO28 “Pohaku” @ Maili Cove, RV08 “Buster” @ White Plains, etc… several calls for each seal.
The last call of the day came in reporting a seal out on Alan Davis side. Since I was in the area I responded to it. Way back, in the very back of the Estuary in the middle of the mangrove I found T990 / 4DV. He was last seen a week ago hanging around Wailupe.

Thank you to all callers, responders and volunteers for your help today.  Aloha, Lesley 

No comments: