Saturday, September 20, 2014

9/19/2014 DB's Dailies: Kaiwi,Kekoa&Kainoa@RI, Kea@SB, Kolohe@GR, Nihoa&Benny@Keaau's, Rocky@DH&Kaimana

At 0605 I found a fresh trail , coming and going, with a wallow and crushed Naupaka at the Sandy Beach outfall, and I suspected that Kea had recently been there. Both Gayle and I did multiple checks through the morning. On a routine check at 1216 I found Kea (RN46) on the outfall, and cordoned him off. Kea remained at dark .
 At 0735 on my first look at Rabbit Island I found 2 animals galumphing down the incline, 40 ft left of 1BS. They entered the water together. Both had brand new coats on, and though an ID was not possible, my dollar is on Aukai & Nani, since they have been hangin’ together through their molts, and were at that location at end of day yesterday, but ???

 Also at 0735, to my distress I found two guys apparently just picking up a lay net , from a dingy & kayak, 300 ft out from the Makai Pier breakwater. I also noted a black buoy still in the water at that location. Also present were 2 seals right there with the guys. I was ultimately able to ID the two as Kaiwi & Kekoa . Even after the guys departed the two continued to hang around that buoy. I guessed that there might be food there. They departed after an hour or so, and at 0958 both Kekoa (RK72) & Kaiwi (RK96) hauled out together at Seal Rock Inlet on Rabbit Island.

I contacted DOCARE Officer Ken, and he responded to the pier at 0934, and swam out, inspected the buoy and finding 50 ft of attached net, picked it up and brought it back to the pier for confiscation.

 At 1107 Kainoa (RN04) hauled out to join Kekoa & Kaiwi. All remained the rest of the day.

 At 0635 Team Billand called with the report of Kolohe (RW22) at Guard Rails.

 At 1245 Dana called to advise that Rocky (RH58) was at Diamond Head, between Colleen’s house and the showers. I think Dana said that Lesley had responded. According to Dana, Rocky hauled out to a number of locations from that location to the Lighthouse, but ultimately departed DH.

 At 1531 I got a call from Ocean Safety advising of an animal just hauling out to Kaimana Beach. I gotta’ coupla’ cats on Rocky, but ???? Dana confirmed the Rocky (RH58) ID at 1814.

 At 1415 Team Billand called with the news that they had found Nihoa (R912) at Keaau’s, and that she was in the company of the Benny (RE74).

Kainoa, Kekoa and Kaiwi
 Kaiwi and Kekoa lurking around near a net
 YEAAAA!  that's how its done !   Thank you!   
 Kea hanging out.... 
 Kea being cute
 Ummm excuse me I need some privacy 
 PAH - LEEZE !!! I need to 
 too late I gotta go
 whew.... feel so better
 Nihoa and Benny  
 NihoaR912

1 comment:

madhatter said...

Love Nihoa's pose. I don't think I have seen a picture quite like that before.
It's easy to see just how dangerous those lay nets are and just how quickly the monk seals find them. But the situation was taken care of quickly too. The people who look out for these monk seals day in and out are awesome. I hope to meet you guys one day.