Monday, September 15, 2014

9/14/2014 DB's Dailies: Aukai,Nani,Duke,Kainoa&UF@RI, Pohaku@PC, R912@Keaau's, RL42@Makua Cliffs, Rocky@Ewa Beach

On my first look at Rabbit Island I found a small, female, with 2 red tags, at the far left end of the beach. I was never able to ID this animal. Though I would love to believe that it could be Pua, there is simply no way to know that, so an U/F is required. There was little movement, and her location was bad, but I may have seen something at the left corner of her mouth , lower jaw, but I am unsure if it was a scar, a wound. A hook can’t be ruled out, but ???

When I got back to Makai Pier at 1100 I found what would prove to be a molting Aukai (RL12). I spent most of the observation period thinking that this was Nani because of the molt.

At 1223 Kainoa (RN04) hauled out 40 ft left of 1BS. At 1230 what would prove to be Duke (RA12) hauled out to join him. It would take a while to get the ID, because he is 100% molted. ID was by his cc scar on his belly.

At 1233 another animal hauled out to join the boys. My assumption was that it would be Aukai, until she showed me that big ol’ beautiful N60 bleach. It was then that I knew the other animal at the right end was Aukai. Both the girls are molting.

At 0948 the Billands advised of an animal at Paradise Cove. At 0910 call confirmed the Pohaku (RO28) ID. They reported that Pohaku departed around 1300.

At 1158 Team Billand reported a 605% molted R912 at Keaau’s.

 The Billands found RL42 at Makua Cliffs at 1108.

At 1304 the Billands found Rocky (RH58) near Access#185C, in Ewa Beach. It’s possible she was there yesterday also. They reported she was still there at dark.

The Billands are out late again, so check da’ blog in the morning for their day.

 Much Mahalos to Melanie & Marilyn who braved the giant surf, and high, high tides from Kuliouou to AD’s, skunked but not disheartened.

 Kainoa, Duke and Nani
 unidentified female

No comments: