Sunday, August 24, 2014

8/24/2014 DB's Dailies: Kaiwi@KK, Kea@SB, Buster@SB&BH, Pohaku@Nanakuli, M&M,Kolohe@WP, U/U@Yokes,Ka'ena,RIP,Rocky&R8HE@KP

As I began my first check of Sandy Beach at 0620 I noted a trail and small wallow at the east end sewer outfall. After a thorough check I found nobody. The rest of the story later.

 At 0814 I found what would have to be 2 U/U. One was at the far left end, and the other 40 ft left of 1BS on Rabbit Island. Interestingly both would depart independently at 0827 & 0828. I was not able to get any info, and I did not see them again today.

 At 0913 Marilyn called with the report of Kaiwi (RK96) at Kokee Flats. Melanie would see her at 1100.

 A Sandy Beach posse member called at 1508 with the report of an animal hauling out to the east end of Sandy Beach. When we arrived at 1516 we found Kea (RN46) at the sewer outfall. We cordoned him off and he remains.

 While we were erecting the cordon, what would turn out to be Buster (RV08) did swim by. I would not confirm the ID until checking the shots at the end of the day. He did not haul out. I relocated to Blowhole to see if he would haul out to the west end, and while there I got a call from my same posse member advising that an animal was hauling out at the east end. When I got back there at 1608 he had reentered the water and swam away to the west. I again relocated to Blowhole and found Buster there doing 6 minute dives. 

Team Billand called at 0641 with the report of Pohaku (RO28) was once again in Nanakuli, with the usual crowd problems. Rachel reported her still there at dark.

 At 0756 they reported M&M (R020) at White Plains.

 At 0831 the Billands were advised of an animal at Yokes. Debbie responded but the animal was departing just as she arrived. She took some quick shots. Photos were inconclusive.

 At 0951 Team Billand reported the arrival of Kolohe (RW22) to join M&M at WP. Michael & Angel reported both still there at dark.

 Ken Tingman did the end of the world trek today. At the point he found RIP (RR70), Ka’ena (RO40) and surprisingly, Rocky (RH58) at Ka’ena’s Pool. About halfway back to the Mokuleia side parking lot he encountered a new arrival. He provided excellent shots of R8HE. There may be a “V” bleach on the left side as well as a girdle, but I’m not certain on that. I emailed Kauai hoping for info. Nothing yet. Of course Tracy will know in the morning, so stay tuned.

 Speaking of Kauai, Gary Langley sent some shots of Pohaku’s boy, RF28.

Buster at Sandy Beach
 Buster at Blow hole 
Kaiwi at Kokee Flats
 
 Kea at Sandys 
 Pretty sweet little Kea
Pohaku's little boy RF28
Ka'ena and Rocky
Rocky... girl .... where you off to? 
Rip
Rocky and Ka'ena

No comments: