Monday, August 11, 2014

8/10/2014 DB's Dailies:Benny@KBP,RI,SB, Kaiwi@CW, Aukai,Benny&Kainoa@RI, U/U@Kaiser Estate, KK, Kolohe@GR, M&M@WP, Ka'ena&Temp402@KP

The day began at 0530 with a Kimo Smith call advising that Kea (RN46) was just departing Sandy Beach. When I arrived at 0540 we picked up the equipment and the adventure continued, and an adventure it would turn out to be.

 At 0735 I discovered Benny (RE74) mid way between Kaupo Beach Park and Makai Pier. He has last been seen on 8-16-14 in the SW quadrant. According to Kimo , Benny would depart that location at 1003, and cruise to Kaupo Beach Park where he attempted to haul out but was run off by 3 dogs. The owners could not control them, and though Kimo tried to get them away from Benny they nevertheless ran him off. Kimo said he last saw him half way to Rabbit Island.

 I got to Makai Pier for my 2nd RI look at 0954 and found Aukai (RL12) and Kainoa (RN04) at the left end of the beach. Sure enough at 0957 Benny arrived and bee lined right for Aukai. He would also interact with Kainoa. At 1022 he would reenter the water. I just knew I hadn’t seen the last of him.

 At 1045 lifeguard posse member Billy reported an animal at the east end of SB, but when I arrived it was gone. Based on behavior and the fact that I later saw Buster foraging at Blowhole, I’d put my dollar on him for this call, however with Benny in the neighborhood I can’t be certain.

 That became readily apparent with an Ocean Safety call at 1252 reporting an animal at the “Gas Chambers” end of Sandy Beach. When I arrived I found and cordoned off Benny. He would depart that location due to the hordes, and at 1302 I got a call from a posse member at the east end of Sandy Beach reporting an animal. Traffic and parking made it difficult to get there, but when I arrived I found Benny.....again. Once again I cordoned him off. Called it a day at dark. Benny remains.

 At 0900 posse member Trish called with the report of an animal at China Walls. It would prove to be Kaiwi (RK96).

 At 1249 Dana called with a Hotline report of an animal at the Kaiser dock, Kokee Flats. Melanie Chun responded and got miraculous shots of an U/U well beyond the Kaiser dock, an totally inaccessible. My initial thought was Rocky, but Melanie’s shots ruled that out by the fact that the animal had at least one red tag. My dollar is on T990 but ??????

 At 0649 Team Billand reported Kolohe (RW22) at Maili Guard Rails. Although the did not see M&M on their initial White Plains check, they would find her at 1032 fronting #1775. She would depart at 1114.

At 1404 the Billands reported the arrival of M&M to T#2, White Plains.

 Marilyn did the Ka’ena Point trek today. At 1000 she reported Ka’ena (RO40), and at 1054 reported Temp402 “Squinty”. Much Mahalos to Kimo, Marilyn, Melanie & Gayle for sharing in today’s adventure.

 The Billands & M&M are once again together into the darkness. Check the blog in the morning for their day.

Aukai, Benny and Kainoa
 
 Benny is the star of the day.... he was all over the place today.... 

 and here he is again
 
 Thank you Kimo for sharing and being there.....
 Given the recent news on Kauai these photos are more upsetting.... I can't help but look at these photos and think of the chaos that took place.  Benny is an adult male clearly able to take care of himself and yet in these two photos we can see how he's at a disadvantage.
 I hate to say it.... especially since I have owned a dog but the leash laws have to be revisited .... especially since the population of seals is growing.
Kaiwi
 Ka'ena
 
Temp 402 aka squinty
 u/u at Kaiser Estate


No comments: