Wednesday, July 9, 2014

7-9-2014 DB's Dailies: Buster&BH&SB, Aukai&Pua@RI, Kaiwi@CW, Benny&Pohaku@LahiLahi, Kolohe@Maili Pt, Haupu@WP, Right Spot@Sunset

At 0625 I found what must be reported as an U/U, doing 6 minute dives at the Blowhole Lookout. There is zero doubt in my little, bald heart that it was Buster but ???? After his 2nd up he began moving west. I followed his progress from a coupla’ roadside pull offs, but lost him at Lanai Lookout. I wanted to believe that he was headed west, but I knew my luck just wasn’t that good. Sure enough at 1314 Melanie called to advise that an animal was just hauling out to the Blowhole end of Sandy Beach. She had seen him from Blowhole. When I arrived at 1325 Melanie had already confirmed the Buster (RV08) ID, by tag. We cordoned him off. Gayle called at 1823 to advise that Buster was departing. Thank You Gayle..... & Thank You Buster !

 At 1000 I found Aukai (RL12) at the far left end of Rabbit Island.

 At 1103 on a pan I found Pua (RF34), 100 ft left of 1BS on RI. At 1214 Pua would enter the water, only to haul out at 1217 to join Aukai. They both entered the water at 1229.

 At 1137 Melanie called with the report of Kaiwi (RK96) at China Walls.

 At 0652 Team Billand called with the report of Benny (RE74)&Pohaku (RO28) at LahiLahi Beach. They reported them gone at 1245.

 At 0714 the Billands reported Kolohe (RW22) , once again at Maili Point. They reported him gone at 1224.

 At 0918 Team Billand found Haupu (RB24) fronting #1707, White Plains. They reported her gone at 1115.

 At 1646 Ocean Safety called with the report of an animal hauling out to Val’s Reef (Sunset Beach) . 

Dana called at 1833 with the Right Spot (R016) ID.

 I came across a YouTube piece with Michelle, on the first animals being taken to the new Big Island, Marine Mammal Center facility.



Buster
Aukai and Pua
Kaiwi
Haupu
Kolohe
Pohaku and Benny

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Baby seals need the Super Bass-o-Matic!
http://www.hulu.com/watch/19046